<$BlogRSDUrl$>
 Just callin' it it as we see it
...could it have been HOW you asked me...
...or could it have been WHAT you asked me...
...maybe it's WHEN you asked me...
all i know is that YOU'RE ON FUCKIN' CRACK...

 Archives
May 2003
July 2003
August 2003
September 2003
November 2003
December 2003
January 2004
February 2004
March 2004
April 2004
May 2004
June 2004
July 2004
August 2004
September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
August 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
February 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
October 2006
September 2010
December 2011
 Contributing Authors
Tineybopper
JiminySpliff
MarleyMonk
Mizzymoto
Siscaholic
Friday, December 12, 2003
 Craq and My Growing Paranoia
Craq: While in the Jordaan a few hours ago some random guy asked me if I'd like to buy some hash, to which I politely replied, "No thanks, I don't like drugs"... so naturally, he had to ask if I wanted some X... I told him, "No, I don't take drugs"... so, of course, he had to make sure I wasn't just playing hard to get so he asked me if I'd like some acid... I tell him, "rot op, ik wil het niet"... so then the sucka asks if perhaps I'd like some crack. Yeah, crack. Fuqin crackhead.

Paranoia: My job is infosec, so I tend to be on the paranoid end of the internet security spectrum - here is how sad I am:

1. I use non-English misspelled alphanumeric text in the 30-40 character range for passwords wherever possible
2. I don't trust my windows or unix machines' abilities to keep my local data safe and encrypted so I use multiple 256-bit AES encrypted PGP disks to store all but the most impersonal data
3. I don't trust my colleagues at the office to properly secure our network, so I have a Gentoo Linux device providing stateful packet inspection services via Linux 2.4's built-in NetFilter - this gives me a separate and private LAN of my own
4. Since I don't trust my colleagues to provide proper protection I also run an IDS on said Gentoo device where I listen to both my external an internal interfaces
5. My IDS alarms on the external interface around 10-15 times per day thereby feeding my paranoia - I use squil for real-time analysis, btw (over an stunell connection, of course)
6. I run HIDS (snort and Tiny), tcp/ip firewalls (Tiny, shorewall/iptables/NetFilter/ipf/ipfw, Semantec), integrity software (Tripwire, numerous shell scripts, Tiny), and anti-virus software on *all* possible machines even though I'm already on a mostly trusted network of my own
7. I'm on about 20 infosec mailing lists... most of which just link to each other each time a vulnerability is announced
8. I have more books than I care to admit on the subject (not that I've read them all)
9. I run an internal apache2 proxy (bound to loopback only, and null logging) on my server in the datacenter so that I can tunnel all of my web and IM traffic to it (over a 256-bit AES encrypted SSH session (2048-bit DSS for key negotiation))... and of course all of my IM logs are done to a crypt disk - the server only presents ssh to the world, and it is built with tcpd so only certain of addresses may establish a connection with it... and I'm running SunScreen to boot
10. The ssh mentioned above is built with gcc with propolice in the hopes of further buffer containment... i use standard privilege seperation... I don't allow PAM use, I only allow AES-256 for the line cipher, DSS for the asymmetric cipher, SHA-1 for the MAC... the privsep user's shell is the simple SUNW /sbin/noshell script... password auth is not allowed, only pubkey auth (via, you guessed it, 2048-bit or greater DSS keypairs), and only users of a specific group are allowed access
11. When I delete data, I can't just delete it - I feel I must wipe it, regardless of how much of my CPU gets eaten in the process... and no, the default number of passes is never good enough so I usually add 30-40% more passes
12. I shred anything and everything that is in paper format, regardless of how insignificant the data on the paper is
13. blah, blah, blah, etc, etc, etc...

So, to what end do I do this? It's simple - I don't want to be the one that gets owned by some little shitface armed to the teeth with scripts from PacketStorm just because I decided to be a little more trusting. The funny thing is, I still feel vulnerable - every now and then I come across information that shows me that a certain thing I've done is not the right, or best, way to do it... this just feeds my paranoia.

So... am I a crackhead, or are there others out there who are under similar duress? :)

BTW... for those of you worried about email harvesting from websites, I give you the Unicoder free of charge - you can look at the source code, we don't harvest your address, unlike some of the other unicode tools out there.

Tot ziens.

Posted by Travis @ 6:20:00 PM --

(c) 2004 - UrOnCrack Enterprises. Not a single right reserved.
If you think this page needs a copyright then you need to get off the rock.